Monday, February 9, 2009

Raising a biracial child

My boyfriend and I gave birth to our son 8 months ago. Our son is biracial, African American and Caucasian. I have been doing a lot of research, especially on children's books, that will hopefully help our son identify with both cultures more easily as he grows up. Speaking to different people I know who are biracial and President Obama discussing his experience and struggles growing up biracial, I feel it is really important to help our son have a good relationship with both families along with both cultures. I want him to be proud to be biracial and identify with both sides of his family. I am not sure how to go about this best other than make him feel loved, remind him that he is special, and encourage time with both of our families.

2 comments:

  1. I found a couple books that I thought were really cute and displayed biracial children and interracial families. My favorite is Black is Brown is Tan by Arnold Adoff. Black is Brown is Tan describes each family members physical characteristics, primarily skin color and hair, and examines the differences in a positive way.
    I also like More More More Said the Baby by Vera B. Williams. One of the stories in this book of three stories is about a biracial child, who is most likely African American and Caucasian known as "Litte Pumpkin," who has a Caucasian grandmother. This book also depicts a Caucasian family and Asian family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the tips, Molly! I'm also looking for books for our upcoming biracial daughter, so i'll look into these.

    ReplyDelete